Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Favorite Birthday

As most of you know, yesterday was my birthday. I've had 22 of them so far, and while I'm thankful for all the birthday wishes I received, yesterday was my least favorite. The only thing I truly wanted was my baby boy. But I wanted to write about my absolute favorite birthday. My 18th birthday.

Pretty much all of you know I was a huge band nerd, and very proud of it. It was seriously my favorite thing in the world. Some of us loved it so much that we ate lunch in the band room. Well, more specifically, Mr. Webb's office, because absolutely no food was allowed in the band room...Anyways, I remember I was walking to eat lunch in Mr. Webb's office when I was stopped by my good friend Alyson. She wouldn't let me in! She said that something wasn't ready yet. So I had to take a walk until she let me in.

When I came in, I saw that a bunch of people in the clarinet section had decorated my chair and almost everybody gave me a reed! I know that doesn't sound huge or anything, but I seriously never had extra reeds and I always went through them so quickly. I was always asking if someone had an extra. It was just really thoughtful. And they had decorated my chair with balloons and ribbon and confetti. I think that Mr. Webb's gift to me was letting me keep my chair decorated during band class that day, even when it got distracting...

And then after marching band practice that night, me and like 6 friends went to a VeggieTales Live concert. I still have the T-shirt.

I think what I loved most about that birthday was how thoughtful everyone was. I love getting gifts, but I can tell when someone wasn't really thinking about what I would specifically want or like. When someone takes time out of their day to plan something out or sees something and thinks "Wow, Sarah would love that", I just feel so loved. I think that's what birthdays are for. Celebrating ordinary people and showing them how much we love them.

So even though this past birthday wasn't very good, I will always remember my 18th birthday and smile and remember that I'm loved and cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment